Friday, May 29, 2009

What's On This Weekend

Thought I'd give you an update on what's new at cinemas this weekend:

Adventureland
Released this weekend supposedly, for some bizarre reason I can't find it listed at Dendy, Greater Union or Palace. If you know more/better than I leave a comment. I wasn't kind in my review, but it's a nice sort of trip down memory lane if you grew up in the 80s, has one or two good laughs and a few sweet moments. It just left me feeling empty.
I'd recommend reading AO Scott's thoughtful and more measured review over at the NY Times before making up your mind, "Somehow the story of a young man’s coming of age never gets old, at least when it is told with the kind of sweetness and intelligence Adventureland displays."

My Year Without Sex
Australia film from writer/director Sarah Watt (Look Both Ways) which I has heard roundly good things about. Tells the story of a mother who has a brain aneurism and as a result can't work, help the kids with school stuff, drive or have sex for one year. The synopsis sounds depressing, but as the title suggest I suspect this one has a healthy sense of (black) humour. I haven't seen it, but these guys have:
Michael Adams, Empire: "Funny, moving, tense and entertaining, it's a strong follow-up to the sublime Look Both Ways."
Thomas Caldwell, Cinema Autopsy: "an intelligent, endearing and recognisable depiction of contemporary Australian families."

State Of Play
This one I have seen, it's a fun thriller if you don't mind be treated like a bit of an idiot, plot twists telegraphed a mile away and some slightly out-of-date pontificating on Real Journalism vs Bloggers or the dangers of privately owned Blackwater-esque military. Directed by the excellent Kevin MacDonald (Touching The Void, Last King Of Scotland), this is a perfectly serviceable thriller starring Russell Crowe (whose pretty good) and Rachel McAdams (who spends the movie being patronised and cute). But don't take my word for it:
Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian: "the movie is an entertaining ride, with a big cast of characters whose contributions to the plot, though not strictly speaking plausible, are all cleverly managed and orchestrated by Macdonald."

Other films still on release I recommend: Gomorrah, Synecdoche, New York, and Aussie Cannes winner Samson & Delilah (my Australia film of the year so far). Anyone else got suggestions?

1 comments:

Paul Martin said...

I agree that Samson and Delilah is the best Australian film so far this year, but I found Synecdoche, New York disappointing.

Katyn is definitely worth seeing.
If you like documentaries, The Chifley's of Busby St is worth a look. Summer Hours is still on and I think is excellent.

For Melbournians, check out the St. Kilda Film Festival, especially the French shorts, and next week there's a Sergio Leone retrospective at the Kino.