Thursday, April 30, 2009

Looking for Shit to do?


April really has been a pretty poor month for film in Australia. Things started off bad with Pink Panther 2, got flabby round the mid-section with Race To Witch Mountain and Fast & Furious (I know I gave it a positive review but please), with the final slices of shit pie coming in the form of Tenderness and Defiance (both released this Friday 30 April). I've already offered my 1,700 cents on X-Men Origins Wolverine so I won't retread this already well-covered tectonic ground.

There was some welcome reprieve thanks to middling efforts thanks to Good, Elegy and two very decent films with tricky titles to write together in a sentence: Mary And Max and Wendy And Lucy. But nothing really got me going this month, and as such I must confess to have taken to catching up on some television I'd missed including the interesting Generation Kill, the disappointing seasons 3 and 4 of Weeds and finally my new favourite piece of quality drama Mad Men.

Whilst there may not be an abundance of releases, May is shaping up to be much more promising with several quality films worth you hard-earned bucks. I'm not going to get into those right now, but I did want to point you in the direction of a very special events hosted by Popcorn Taxi. Monday 11 May there will be an extremely rare theatrical screening of micro-budget Aussie drug dramedy Pure Shit, which was banned on its initial release in 1975. Andrew McKay of the Melbourne Herald dubbed Pure Shit “The most evil film ever made,” which may sound alarmist to some while the more twisted of us wring our hands in delight. The screening will be followed by a Q&A with director Bert Deling and various cast members and I highly recommend you check out the event page for more information an to book your tickets.

If you need more convincing take a read of Stephen Groenewegen's review at eFilmCritic.

It should be a busy week for the folks at Popcorn Taxi who are also hosting a screening of the much touted RiP: A Remix Manifesto followed by a Q&A with director Brett Gaylor (Wednesday 13 May). The film was a big hit at this year's SXSW so I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm hoping to interview Brett for 3D World... watch this space.

4 comments:

ms_monk said...

go see samson & delilah. you might change your tune.

Scott Henderson said...

Samson & Delilah isn't release until 7th May...

syms said...

Yawn. Week by week it doesn't seem so bad but when you condense a month into a post like this you realise how much dross (both arthouse and blockbuster) we have to endure. Really, at year's end, how many of these will we even remember happened?

Maybe Wendy and Lucy, even though that's not for me.

myles said...

I'm envious of anyone who gets to see the Q & A with the director. I downloaded the film (legally) through the website and it raises a lot of interesting questions. There's a lot to talk about after you see it and I imagine he'll spur a very interesting conversation.