Thursday, March 19, 2009

Weekend warriors

It's Friday tomorrow so now is as good a time as any to get into the habit of posting a summary of the weekends movie releases and goings on. I'll be watching some movies no doubt, but for me the biggest thing that's going down is the series finale of Battlestar Galactica.

I was chatting on email with one of my editors who was telling me he'd finally decided that he'd like to check it out after reading this article over at The Guardian. My response was "Let me just tell you that I consider BSG as one of the pinnacles of intelligent television. It most certainly is right up there with The Wire for it's political enquiry and grit, on par with Lost for mystery, alongside 24 for action and in a league of its own for philosophical wondering." I'm find myself both nervous, excited and sad about this particular swansong probably even more so than I was with The Wire, mainly because I was late to that small screen party.

For those of you looking for something of the cinematic variety, these here are the films out this weekend in Australia. If you've got any suggestions for movie viewing of your own after the weekend why not leave a comment, someone will read it...

Blindness
Directed by Fernando City Of God Meirelles I've heard quite mixed things about this one. Could be an interesting movie conceptually, but as I understand it narratively it doesn't quite work.

Walter Chaw at Film Freak Central pretty much hated it - "Blindness reveals itself at the end as having nothing much to say beyond the Lord of the Flies truism that men left to their own devices are no better than animals."
Peter Bradshaw at The Guardian loved it - "I disagree with the detractors. For me, Meirelles, along with screenwriter Don McKellar and cinematographer Cesar Charlone, have created an elegant, gripping and visually outstanding film."

Duplicity
You can read my review, which hopefully doesn't come off as a rant against leading lady Julia Roberts who I thought was dreadful. Otherwise the movie a dose of fun if you don't get bored trying to keep up. Clive Owen is good value.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Can't say this one strikes me as very appealing though it sounds like fairly inoffensive visual comedy.

Roger Ebert appreciates its wholesome quality - "It's as slam-bang preposterous as any R-rated comedy you can name. It's just that Paul Blart and the film's other characters don't feel the need to use the f-word as the building block of every sentence."
Eric D. Snider of Cinematical thought it was ok - "And this is definitely for young and/or undiscerning viewers, a simple comedy, not unpleasant but not particularly funny, either."

Two Fists One Heart
This one caught me by surprise, a really solid Aussie sports drama that is visually lovely and tugs the old heart strings. Well worth checking out.

----------

Tomorrow I'm heading down to Dendy Opera Quays to check out a print of Casablanca which is playing as part of the Young At Heart film festival. I've never seen it on the big screen so I can't tell you how excited I am. Casablanca is one of the reasons I fell in love with cinema, that's entirely cliche but I don't care. I adore this movie. This 'quick' post I was putting together is actually a little longer than I expected it to be, so if you wanna check what else is playing as part of Young At Heart click here.

And finally I just saw the trailer for Sam Mendes new movie Away We Go, which looks fantastic. Mendes it seems has made a little American indie-esque road movie that fits the Focus Features mould perfectly.


1 comments:

jw said...

Let the Right One In is also screening at the Palace Academy on Oxford St.

top post!