Thursday, March 6, 2008

Swayze has cancer

It might just be that I'm getting older, but it feels like actors and filmmakers I've grown up with are becoming endangered species. Not a week seems to go by without someone dying, and now I get wind that Patrick Swayze has pancreatic cancer. First Ledger, then Schneider, now the cooler – what the hell?

From being a rumour that appeared this morning, to confirmation by Swayze's publicist and doctor, we at least know that its not as grim as first thought. WENN reports Dr Fisher saying: "Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the time frame of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

Ok, so apparently he was diagnosed back in January and is already undergoing chemotheraphy at the Stanford Medical Centre. To read more and the disease click here. I'm not gonna get into this much, but it should be noted that of all the cancers, pancreatic has the least amount of funds going into researching prevention, detection and treatment. It's also the bastard that got Bill Hicks. On the other hand, Steve Jobs survived it (the list of survivors vs victims on wikipedia doesn't bare looking at) and went on to give the world slick phones and mp3 players, which are great, but I really miss those "Chomsky and dick jokes".

In the mean time, if you wanna show support, go to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and donate. Failing that, throw a Swayze marathon starting out with The Outsiders, followed by Dirty Dancing and, well, you know the rest.

And I pulled this quote off his imdb bio:

I have a great deal of faith in faith; if you believe something strongly enough, it becomes true for you. I would like to believe that my father is right here with me in this room and that he's my guardian angel, that there's life after death -- because if there isn't, why are we here? I don't believe that just flesh and bones can contain from the point of view of physics this very real recorded energy inside of us. Whether it's true or not, we need to believe it.

And if all you need is something to cheer you up, check out the video below from Master Pancake theatre of Alamo Drafthouse fame. I didn't get to see this one while I was living in Austin, but I sure would have loved to...they just don't make 'em like this anymore:

1 comments:

Lee said...

Dude. And have you seen pictures of him lately? He's, I mean, he still is like the wind through my trees... but at the sametime, it's kind of sad because he looks so weathered. AND apparently he's still smoking like a pack a day.